WE HAVE MOVED TO OUR NEW WEBSITE. PLEASE CLICK THE IMAGE BELOW TO GET THERE.
The Ministry of Water and Energy of Ethiopia is a federal organization established to undertake the management of water and enegy resources of Ethiopia . This involves development, planning and management of water and energy resources, development of polices, strategies and programs, develop and implement water and energy sector laws and regulations, conduct study and research activities, provide technical support to regional water and energy bureaus and offices and sign international agreements.
The powers and duties given to the former Ministry of Water Resources and the Ministry of Mines and Energy, with respect to energy, by the provisions of other laws, currently in force, and with respect to rural electrification, to the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development and the Ethiopian Rural Energy Development and Promotion Center, under Proclamation No.317/2003 are here by given to the Ministry of Water and Energy
MANDATES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Ministry of Water and Energy of Ethiopia has the following Mandate and Responsibilities:
- Promote the development of water resources and energy;
- Undertake basin studies and determine the country’s ground and surface water resource potential in terms of volume and quality, and facilitate the utilization of same;
- Determine conditions and methods required for the optimum and equitable allocation and utilization of water bodies that flow across or lie between more than one regional States among various uses and the regional States;
- Undertake studies and negotiation of treaties pertaining to the utilization of boundary and trans-boundary water bodies, and follow up the implementation of same;
- Cause the carrying out of study, design and construction works to promote the expansion of medium and large irrigation dams;
- Administer dams and water structures constructed by federal budget unless they are entrusted to the authority of the relevant bodies;
- In cooperation with the appropriate organs, prescribe quality standards for waters to be used for various purposes;
- Support the expansion of potable water supply coverage; follow up and coordinate the implementation of projects financed by foreign assistance and loans;
- Undertake studies concerning the development and utilization of energy; and promote the growth and expansion of the country’s supply of electric energy;
- Promote the development of alternative energy sources and technologies;
- Set standards for petroleum storage and distribution facilities, and follow up the enforcement of same;
- Issue permits and regulate the construction and operation of water works relating to water bodies referred to in paragraph (c) and (d) of this sub-article;
- In cooperation with the appropriate organs, determine the volume of petroleum reserve and ensure that it is maintained;
- Ensure the proper execution of functions relating to meteorological service.